The taxonomy of the genus Cardiocrinum
The results of my investigation into the taxonomy of the genus using the results of DNA barcoding, together with a synopsis of the cultivation of the genus, can be downloaded here as a 5.21M PDF booklet, "The Genus Cardiocrinum", (tGC). All references on this page are to that document.
NB The TOC of this document is configured with internal links. As this constitutes a slight security risk, you may wish to set your PDF reader to ignore these.
The main changes this has made to the description of the collection are as follows,
The contents of the booklet are listed below with links to the relevant pages,
- the taxa previously labelled as C. cathayanum or C. cathayanum (hort.) are now recognised as being yunnanense,
- C. cathayanum is very closely related to C. cordatum and, in fact, I have doubts if it actually exists and we certainly don't have one in the collection, the only example known to me being Kew 2007 297
- I consider yunnanense to be a variety of giganteum. In fact, if it wasn't for the report of mirco-satellite makers which can distinguish yunnannese from giganteum, I'd consider it to be just a form of giganteum on the morphological evidence.
- I consider glehnii to be a sub-species of cordatum on the basis of its stability and differences from cordatum on a geographical basis.
- I consider the white and pink flowered plants to be forms of C. giganteum v. yunnanense, C. giganteum v. yunnanense f. alba and C. giganteum v. yunnanense f.rosea .
- INTRODUCTION p. 1
- THE TAXA p. 2
- Generic description p. 2
- Cardiocrinum giganteum p. 3
- Cardiocrinum giganteum giganteum p. 5
- Cardiocrinum giganteum yunnanense p. 5
- Cardiocrinum cordatum p. 10
- Cardiocrinum cordatum cordatum p. 11
- Cardiocrinum cordatum glehnii p. 11
- Cardiocrinum cathayanum p. 16
- Forms p. 18
- Relationships p. 20
- Identification p. 21
- PROPAGATION p. 26
- CULTIVATION p. 29
- ANOMALOUS GROWTH p. 34
- APPENDICES p. 39
- 1 DNA plant barcodes p. 39
- 2 Phylogenetic trees p. 48
- 3 Leaf distribution p. 55
- 4 Seed leaflet p. 60
- INDEX p. 61
[Last update: 14/3/2017]